EVANS CONSTRUCTION, INSPECTION & ASSESSMENT SERVICES
What makes a building durable ? Concrete, steel ??
Whilst concrete and steel may help they are not the answer to this question.
|What makes a Building Durable is spending the money on its construction in the right way.|
And what is that right way I hear you saying.....?
There needs to be a proper plan drawn and in that plan the expenditure implied by it needs to be well distributed - a weak foundation and expensive roof are no better than an expensive foundation and floor along with a weak roof.
|It is no good to go extra strong in some places and weak in others. |
Durability is achieved when
Keeping the Building Dry is achieved by
- Materials of the appropriate type are used.
- All materials and components are properly connected in a consistently strong manner.
- Those places needing protection against the entry of water which may cause damage are properly protected. Buildings need to be kept dry from below, above and on all sides.
- Using a roofing system with a 2nd line of defence against water which will not rot.
- Using metal flashings where appropriate.
- Installing windows and doors so that they are water-tight
- Properly painting the exterior walls.
- Having guttering which thereby reduces the amount of water impacting on the walls of a house.
- Using damp-proof underneath floors at ground-level
- Having a proper underground drainage system able to capture water running underground rather than having it undermine the building.
| For Creativity and Quality engage Evans Construction.... || |